Bowderbeck is a much-loved holiday home that has been in our family for over 60 years and we have rented it out for the last 20 with many repeat bookings and some guests now visiting for their 14th or 15th time!
The house sleeps up to 8 people plus cot.
The cottage is tastefully decorated and full of character with many original features including exposed beams and stone floors. There’s a large garden with a mountain stream and pool, and views right across the valley.
Downstairs there is:
- a fully equipped modern kitchen with full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave and oven and accessories from lovely local company Herdy
- a separate utility room with washing machine and full size freezer
- a comfortable living room with 2 squashy sofas & a wood burning stove
- a dining room which seats up to 8 people and has shelves full of walking books and cupboards full of board games for all ages.
- a double bedroom with ensuite shower-room
- a downstairs cloakroom / drying room
Upstairs there is:
- a large master bedroom with kingsize bed (can be set up as twin beds on request)
- a large twin / triple bedroom with a double and a single bed
- a small single bedroom
- a bathroom with bath, sink & WC, a separate shower room and a separate loo
Part of the magic of Bowderbeck is its idyllic, peaceful location where you can truly get away from it all and we have chosen not to have a TV, but there is free high speed WiFi from BT, a small stereo you can plug your phone or iPod into for music and digital radio, lots of books and a well stocked cupboard full of jigsaws and famiiy board games.
Children: We have young children of our own and have made sure that the cottage is fully equipped for them. One travel cot (please bring your own bedding), one high chair , a step for the sinks and a safety gate are kept in the cottage (it is a Lindam Flexigate and will fit across doorways but not across the stairs as they are too wide). There is a large toy chest for younger children and plenty of books, games and jigsaws for older children. In the kitchen there’s a microwave and plenty of plastic plates and cutlery.
Children of all ages love the endless dam-building and den-building opportunities in the garden, its an easy walk down to the shingle beach to paddle and skim stones down at the lake and plenty of wildlife in the garden and adjoining fields including sheep, cows, rabbits, fish, toads, a variety of birds and and if you're lucky, a visiting otter or heron.
Safety: The stream running through the garden has a small pool, this has the potential to be hazardous and those with children under 5 will need to keep them under close supervision when in the garden.
Pets: Bowderbeck is very strictly no pets and there are no exceptions, sorry!
Smoking: No smoking allowed inside Bowderbeck please.
Heating: The house has central heating powered by a Biomass boiler which you can control using a thermostat in the house. There is also a wood-burning stove in the living room, we provide one basket of logs and you can buy more if you need them at the farm in the village.
Access: Access to the cottage from the roadside where you park your car is via a steep, rocky track which is unsuitable for anyone with walking difficulties. Please contact us if you have any specific questions about this.